FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions - What You Need to Know

 on mental health issuesQuestions and Answers - What You Need to Know

1. Q :  Is this program an online program ?
    A : No, it is on campus. However, online program is allowed for the first semester of the first year.

2. Q : When am I supposed to come to Chiang Mai?
     A: All students must attend the some courses onsite. Students should be present in Chiang Mai in October before the 707 course starts.

3. Q:  I do not have English test score when sending application, how soon should I submit the English test score if I am accepted as an iMMH student? 

   A: The importance of the valid Eng result is that it will change the student status from 'conditional/temporary' to 'unconditional/full-time'. The condition of the students affects the order of the thesis development process. Now we put the non-conditional students in the earlier orders followed by the students with conditions. By the end of the first semester (early October), all students must have their concept proposals ready. Students under 'conditional admission' will not be able to request thesis supervisors. That's why we encourage all students to change their status as soon as possible. 

4. Q: Will I become a professional in Mental Health after graduating?

    A: This program will not make you a professional because this is an academic degree. Unlike a professional degree that helps students prepare for careers in specific fields, such as law, pharmacy, and medicine, an academic (or research) degree concentrates on a particular study area. Courses provide the technical knowledge that is learned throughout the curriculum, and students have to plan, organize, and conduct research to accomplish their coursework.  

iMMH is developed to fit many different higher education/programs and career opportunities as it is a degree in an 'academic' type. Our program is unique; iMMH will give you the Master of Science, not the Master of Arts. It is a mental health program, which is multidisciplinary based, not a psychology program, which is an element in mental health. 

Here's the Prospective professions after graduation

-         School counselor

-         Industrial counselor

-         Human resource manager

-         Social worker

-         Head of public health department, sub-district administrative organization

-         Director of health promotion hospital or primary health care setting

-         Physician specialized in mental health

-         Hospital nursed specialized in mental health

-         Hospital pharmacist specialized in mental health

-         Hospital physiotherapist specialized in mental health

-         Occupational therapist specialized in mental health

-         Engineer specialized in mental health

-         Architect specialized in mental health

-         Academia in the fields related to mental health

-         Entrepeneur in the mental health field

-         Researcher in mental health

-         Other related professions related to mental health

5. Q: Would I be able to do any clinical counselling after this program? And/or what kinds of careers would most students pursue with this degree?

    A:  As far as we know, a counsellor doesn't require a license issued by a specific professional society to perform counselling. If your BA background and current career are in clinical counselling, you are able to continue it. An academic degree like iMMH will not grant you any new license for your professional competency.

         As this program provides knowledge and skills in research on mental health, you can definitely apply your knowledge and skills on mental health issues to your current work. As we know, mental health exists everywhere and is everyone's business. Therefore, you will be able to design how to integrate your plan concerning "mental health" into your current job. For example, for those who are teachers, you might want to organize how to screen your students for stress or anxiety or depression. Then, you might assess how severe the symptoms they have; then, you might design a management plan for students at risk of depression. Finally, you may create a decision tree- how they should be further managed. For example, see a school counsellor or psychiatrist (if you think psychotropic medication should be added), or you can provide them with education and counselling regarding their depressive symptoms. If you are already a professional such as a medical doctor, nurse, or pharmacist, you should become a professional who is specialized in mental health. You will surely deal much better with a person with mental health issues in terms of early detection, early intervention, and better management. 


In addition, you can pursue a higher level of education (i.e., Ph.D. or postdoctoral) to focus more on some specific area and acquire more skills in research.  Much more options will be open for you after you receive your Ph.D. 


Visitors: 28,109